Human Rights Commission banner

Filing a Discrimination Complaint

“Please be advised that by completing this form and returning it, you have not filed a formal complaint as required under RCW 49.60.  Upon receipt of your completed form, Commission staff will review your complaint and contact you to finalize the process.”

Employment On-line Complaint Questionnaire

(requires version 7 or newer of Adobe Reader)

Spanish On-line Complaint Questionnaire

(requires version 7 or newer of Adobe Reader)

Public Accommodation, Insurance & Credit On-line Complaint Questionaire

(requires version 7 or newer of Adobe Reader)

For Housing please contact the WSHRC directly at 1-800-233-3247.

Additional Questions and Answers

Q:        Who can file a Charge of Discrimination?

A:        Any individual who believes that he or she has been discriminated against based on protected class status may file a charge of discrimination with the WSHRC.

Creed (Religion)
National Origin
Families with Children Status
Sex (including pregnancy and maternity)
Marital Status
Use of a Guide Dog or Service Animal by a person with a disability
HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C Status
Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Honorably Discharged Veteran and Military Status
State Employee Whistleblower Retaliation
Health Care Whistleblower Retaliation

Q: How Is a Charge of Discrimination Filed?

A: A charge may be filed by mail, online (form above), or in person.

711 S. Capitol Way, #402
P.O. Box 42490
Olympia, WA 98504-2490

TEL: 360-753-6770 -- FAX: 360-586-2282
Toll Free: 1-800-233-3247
TTY: 1-800-300-7525


Rock Point Plaza III
1330 N. Washington ST., Suite 2460
Spokane, WA 99201

TEL: 509-568-3196 -- FAX: 509-568-3197

*Individuals who need an accommodation in order to file a charge (e.g., sign language interpreter, print materials in an accessible format) should inform the WSHRC so appropriate arrangements can be made. *

Q: What Are the Time Limits for Filing a Charge of Discrimination?

A: There are strict time limits within which charges must be filed: A charge must be filed with WSHRC within six month from the date of the alleged violation, in order to protect your rights. To protect legal rights, it is always best to contact WSHRC promptly when discrimination is suspected,

Q: What Information Must Be Provided to File a Charge?

A: The complaining party's name, address, and telephone number;
The name, address, and telephone number of the respondent employer, employment agency,  union, or place of public accommodation that is alleged to have discriminated, and number of employees,if known;
A short description of the alleged violation (the event that caused you to believe that his or her rights were violated); and
The date(s) of the alleged violation(s).