It is an unfair practice for any person to refuse to sell or rent after the making of a bona fide offer, or to refuse to negotiate for the sale or rental of, or otherwise make unavailable or deny a dwelling to any person.
Fair Housing & Real Estate Resources
- Fair Housing Rights for Protected Classes adversely impacted by COVID 19 (English)
- Maron ko ikijen ejellok kalijeklok ilo imōn jokwe ñan jejjetin armij ro emōj kejbaroki kin an lab aer jelōt jen COVID 19 (Marshallese
- Derechos de Vivienda Justa para clases protegidas afectadas negativamente por Covid-19 (Español)
Fair Housing Occupancy Standards
On February 20, 1998, the Commission issued a Guidance Memorandum on Fair Housing Occupancy Standards. This is an important issue for landlords and for families with children seeking fair housing opportunities.
Interaction between Federal and State Law
The Commission has a cooperative agreement with the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to process and investigate dual-filed housing complaints for which our Commission receives finding under the Fair Housing Assistance Program (FHAP). The Commission is a FHAP agency because our law is substantially equivalent to the federal Fair Housing Act. Most of the Commission's housing cases are dual-filed with HUD; however, the state fair housing law is more expansive than the federal fair housing law and occasionally the Commission will prepare a complaint with Commission jurisdiction only.
Making Home Affordable Program
Homeowners NEVER have to pay to participate in the President’s Making Home Affordable program. We encourage anyone trying to modify or refinance their loans to a monthly mortgage payment that is affordable to visit the Making Home Affordable website at makinghomeaffordable.gov. Homeowners can also call the Homeowner’s HOPE Hotline at 1-888-995-HOPE for free foreclosure counseling assistance.
- Reasonable Accommodations Under the Fair Housing Act
- Spanish Fair Housing Domestic Violence Poster
- Spanish Fair Housing Guide
- Fair Housing for Real Estate Industry Professionals
- Fair Housing in Washington State Poster
- American Indians / Alaska Natives & Fair Housing Rights
- Northwest Fair Housing Alliance fair housing publications